cakes :)

Wednesday 1 December 2010

"A philosopher once asked....

Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?"

Do you recognise the quote? Its from one my of my ultimate favourite films, Stardust :)
I just love this film, and I am sorry to announce that this post will contain no sarcastic mocking or rants, as I'm sure you've all come accustomed to, but will be instead one long gush about how much I love this film and how it quite possibly could be THE perfect film!!



For those who have yet to see this film, (watch it now you fool!!!) it is the beautiful story of a young boy named Tristan, who ventures in to a strange and secret land, to find a fallen star, in order to win the heart of Victoria (who, played by Sienna Miller, is the only bad thing about the film!!) and along way encounters witches, pirates and goats turned into inn-keepers. I am being purposely refusing to give too much of the plot away as I really do not want to spoil it for anybody.

The film is based upon a book by Neil Gaiman (which I want for christmas Mum!!!!) and I am so curious to read it, not being familiar with his work(something which I plan to rectify soon!!)
I must admit however, this film is the most beautiful film, truly faultless, and much of this I beleieve is due to superb acting and stunning scenery etc, that I am skeptical it can all have been captured on paper. I feel that this could possibly be a rare case when the film IS better than the book. Though, I am reserving my judgement until I have read the book, and having never heard a bad word against Neil Gaiman's work, I suspect I am proberly incorrect.

I mentioned superb acting, but I am not sure superb really expresses how magnificent the acting really is. Michelle Phiffer especially, as the evil witch Lamia was fantastic. She has always been a great actress, but one I feel who has improved dramatically with age and I would argue this is her best performance yet.



Charlie Cox, who plays the male lead Tristan was also a perfect casting choice. He is lovable, clumsy and sweet and such a likeable character. Though to be fair all the characters in this film are (except Sienna Miller's!)

I read that the original choice was Orlando Bloom, and I am so thankful they changed their minds, as I feel the dynamic of the film would have been completely different. Whilst this film stars some of the biggest name in acting, such as Michelle Phiffer and Robert DeNiro, I do not think they are actors who particuraly demand attention for being in a film, instead really upon thier skill as actors. Orlando Bloom however, I feel does the opposite, and whilst I am not saying he can not act, if he had starred in the film, you can be sure it would have been known only for him, and in my opinon, would have lost a lot of its appeal!!! (So I did have a mini rant :D)

Claire Danes was another interesting but perfect choice, as she is not an actress who is well known I feel and certainly does not come to mind as leading actress material! however I am so glad it is her was eventually picked (after the role was turned down by several more famous actresses) as not only did it mean the film had to rely on good acting and storyline instead of famous names, but also because I don't think there is an actress who could play a star as well as she can.

That is another thing I love about this film, you can not possibly think or imagine of another actor who could play the any part in this better than who was cast, as the casting was perfect. Even Sienna Miller was cast perfectly, as the character we are not meant to like, a spoilt, self-absorbed brat!!


Have I mentioned that I love this film??
It is one which I can watch endlessly, yet never tire of! It never fails to make me both laugh and cry (the ending is so beautiful and ridiculously happy) so has become my "Cheer up" film, one I watch after a crappy day! At the risk of sounding cheesy, it is the perfect film to lose yourself in!!
I also unashamedly LOVE the soundtrack, Rule the world, by Take That.

So for those who are looking for a film to watch, I recommend Stardust, and then defy anybody telling me they didn't love it! Five K's really does not seem adequete for this film, so instead I'm giving it seven!!! This film is undeservedly overlooked I feel and is fast becoming a contender for being my absolute favourite fim, and it doesn't even have Kiefer Sutherland in it :P

Night Night Xxxxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. I love this fim and its always guaranteed to make me cry at the end!!
    We'll have to watch it when you're home at christmas.
    Mum xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete